Monday, January 12, 2009

Goodness - Psalm 16

Psalm 16:2 I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing."

I think here is where secularists and Christians part ways. You will have to forgive me for just copying and pasting….but I found this wikipedia…and I, of course can’t put it any more succinctly.

The doctrine of total depravity asserts that people are by nature not inclined to love God wholly with heart, mind, and strength, as God requires, but rather all are inclined to serve their own interests over those of their neighbor and to reject the rule of God.

This also means that even the good which a person may intend is faulty in its premise, false in its motive, and weak in its implementation; and there is no mere refinement of natural capacities that can correct this condition. Thus, even acts of generosity and altruism are in fact egoist acts in disguise.

Take for example, Oprah Winfrey. I can’t think of a more visible, giving person to use…and I am not the true judge in this instance…but just using her for an example. But her ‘selfless’ giving has done nothing to her monetary value, but increase it. I hate questioning motives…but she has increased her net wealth by arranging to give of her empire. I’m more likely to believe that she leverages her position to use influence on folks to give stuff away in her name. Which would tend to make me believe that her actions are more about her empire than those receiving the gifts….which, still a nice by-product, isn’t cause to claim ‘goodness’.

Matthew quoted a scripture last night, as he was leading us in communion…., ”All of our righteous acts are like filthy rags.” These two scripture confirm for me that I cannot do enough good stuff…I cannot earn the grace I’ve been offered and that we must ‘tap into’ the goodness of Christ….so that his love can be poured out through us.

No comments: