Monday, November 10, 2008

We all have nipples.

This should be one of those stories taught about in church on Sundays….but I have never heard it, nor do I even remember reading it.

1 Samuel 28:3b Saul had expelled the mediums and spiritists from the land.
6 He inquired of the LORD, but the LORD did not answer him by dreams or Urim or prophets. 7 Saul then said to his attendants, "Find me a woman who is a medium, so I may go and inquire of her."
8 So Saul disguised himself, putting on other clothes, and at night he and two men went to the woman. "Consult a spirit for me," he said, "and bring up for me the one I name."

This is a story of Saul…seemingly outlawing a practice that is in opposition to God….yet holding onto the practice in his own heart. How wicked are our own hearts that we try to put on this image of what we want people to think about us…when deep down, we cling to the very things we publicly say are ‘vile and wicked’.

Numerous stories come to mind of the hypocrisy within the church….from child molesting priests, to adulterous televangelists, to IRS cheating pastors and lesser offenses as well. No wonder we get blasted in the media when yet another of us morally fails.

The most painful example of this to me…was my old youth pastor….from when I was a teenager. We had a great youth group, then he went off and pastored a hugely successful church in Arizona, then planted a church in Birmingham Alabama. Along the way, he helped start Student Life ministries, was chaplain to the Samford College football team, was on a popular local radio show and taught marriage seminars. Last year, he had to cancel one such dates at a Marriage seminar because he was found out….he had carried on a 30 plus year affair with a former babysitter (the girl was only a few year older than me). This really rocked me. Basically his affair predated being my youth pastor, …and all the activities listed. Needless to say, his ministry is over….he has no platform. Had there been a simple incident of infidelity….maybe. But this man harbored this sin, while preaching in opposition and positioned himself as an expert in ‘marriage’. The thing that made me sickest….was thinking about all the young people who have trusted Christ after listening to him…and their doubts.

The part of the passage that is most convicting….have you guys ever been somewhere where you don’t want to be recognized? I used to have a lot of Youth Camp t-shirts…a lot. But there were times…..that I intentionally changed my plans because I didn’t want to be associated one direction or the other….if that makes sense. Here is a good rule of thumb….if you have to changed your appearance, or wear a disguise…then you probably shouldn’t be there.

Now on a funny note…there were times I should have changed and didn’t. You guys remember THE Farrah Fawcette poster? You know you do…in the red bathing suit..and the nipples….well as a kid I had that on a t-shirt. I would have had to be about 12-13….maybe. Well I sat front and center one Sunday night at church….you guessed it…with my t-shirt on (what were my parents thinking?*****) Well, the pastor asked my parents after church not to let me wear that in service again.

*****seriously…what were they thinking?

No comments: