Friday, November 21, 2008

Fool for God

2 Samuel 6:22 I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes.

Some great images of worship come to mind as I read this passage.
I remember a man, a grown man…in a worship service I was in….walking to the aisle…down toward the front and laying face down on the floor. Face directly into the ground. At ANC its not uncommon to see a good percentage of folks, free enough to raise their hands. I would say that David ‘dancing before the LORD with all his might’, was something to see. Yet, a newly crowned king, was so free in his expression of worship that he could act foolishly, before HIS king.

Several great worship song…also come to mind. One of note by Matt Redman….Undignified

I will dance i will sing to be mad for my king

nothing lord is hindering the passion in my soul

I will dance i will sing to be mad for my king

nothing lord is hindering the passion in my soul

(chorus)
and ill become even more undignified than this

some would say its foolishness
but
ill become even more undignified than this

some would say its foolishness

I didn’t use to be a hand raiser. I was a wanna-be hand raiser. I could do in the privacy of my own car (or truck), but when it came to being in public, with people I knew…I didn’t want to appear foolish. King David….acknowledged the foolishness and his desire was to become even more foolish…as a posture of humility.

Hand raising to some…is just as much a part of worship, than the singing itself. So why do we raise our hands?
Act of humility…..surrender
Posture of receiving from God
Identifying ourselves with Christ
Maybe even…..an answer to a call….’Here am I ….send me Lord!’

No comments: