Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Psalm 80 – Vine

Psalm 80 – Vine
I love the vine reference and how the verses in John were probably based on this scripture.
“If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit”
Apparently the vineyard the Psalmist is talking about, has recently been bearing fruit. However with the state of the church, the fruits were being plucked by anyone who passed by, the wild boars were devouring and all the creatures of the fields were feeding on it.
The language though is a little different.
“look down from heaven and see, watch over the vine”
“your vine is cut down, burned with fire”
Even in these scriptures that have very similar language, I just realized that we have a more personal God. One who is with us, via the Holy Spirit, one who has said, “surely I am with you” and “remain in me”.
But I believe that this Psalmist is calling for the Messiah. For the “son, at your right hand” to be raised up, so that we (the Israelites) may be restored, saved.
God thank you for your mercies…your Word…the written and the living. Give us tons of opportunities to love our neighbors this week.

No comments: