Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Daniel 10 - Swagger

Daniel 10 – Swagger
A hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees. He said, "Daniel, you who are highly esteemed, consider carefully the words I am about to speak to you, and stand up, for I have now been sent to you." And when he said this to me, I stood up trembling.
In this vision (apparently his last of the book) Jesus stands before Daniel, and he is so overcome with terror…that he is overwhelmed and can no longer speak, stand or look. Daniel….who stood up to Nebuchadnezzar, thrown in a den of lions…now is terrified before the Lord.
And here we are….sinners…that the only thing that saves us is the Grace of God…and we have some sort of self-righteous swagger.
I am reminded of when I signed on to play football at the University of Alabama….and I showed up for “voluntary workouts” in the summer. I seriously am walking in, in the best shape of my life….with a bunch of “lesser” athletes to a “voluntary” workout, how hard could this be? Right guys?
Day one, they had us report straight to the Track Field…..hey ran us so hard, so long, so many times that I felt that my heart would explode, my lungs would collapse, my legs would literally feel less pain if I would run over them with a car…I can honestly say…that is the day I lost my “swagger”. Day One…..done. Day two, after experiencing to the reality of my fate…..my main thoughts were on survival.
Do we not get it….because we aren’t really experiencing God? I pray that we would continually find ourselves in the position Daniel found himself in…face to the ground.

No comments: