Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Mist - James 4

What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. James 4:14

I took a class called Yokefellows when I started re-attending church about 15 years ago. This class was basically an evangelism class…how to share your faith. This was one of the first verses we learned. We would use it to ‘prove’ how short life is, when compared to eternity. It was for believers to share with non-believers to get them to THINK about their own mortality…and facing eternity without Christ.

Today I have a new perspective. This verse is for me….a believer, a follower of Christ. To get me to think.

I have this very short time on earth….why do I continue to strive for the ‘stuff’ of the world? What am I working for?

I would love to have focus. Laser beam focus. But we all get distracted. I believe Satan uses things….most not even bad things, to distract us.

Take for instance one of my passions…..college football. This in and of itself not a bad thing…..but I am so passionate about college football, I honestly have to admit, it has stolen my affections from Jesus. About this time of year, I start to really get excited. I start the countdown to kickoff….start the smack talk, I buy magazines and watch countless hours of any coverage online or tv I can find. For what?

Time

A very large portion of my mist.

Satan uses work, hobbies, busyness, even family to get our focus away from Jesus. None of these things are bad….we just need to continue to create margin to serve and be used by God.

1 comment:

H.Rachel said...

I really agree. Good stuff. Thanks for posting :D