Monday, April 19, 2010

Hearers vs. Listeners

Last night Jenny and I prayed together.

Profound huh? Well....we hadn't prayed together in months. How can this be? You are a pastor and you are suppose to do this. Well, for me this comes hard. Even though I do this every week in front of hundreds of people I love and consider family, this is such an intimate time between me and God, I would rather not share it. Selfish

We thanked God for our friends, the influence he has given us in our neighborhood, among our neighbors. We prayed for all of you...and for them. We thanked Him for entrusting us with the Gospel (the Good News) for those who don't know Him yet...and to make us diligent in sharing it. We prayed for a renewed vigor for His word and we prayed for our kids.

That was pretty much it.

Yesterday Brandon talked about while he was teaching at ANC, the closeness he felt to God when he studied God's word for two years with a handful of guys. I was fortunate enough to be one of those guys and we did.....for two years pour through God's word, devouring it like it was our sustenance.....and I loved it. But we took a break, then other things crept into my life...and I lost that discipline that I loved so much. So this morning, with no plan...I looked into Proverbs 19.

Proverbs 19:27 Stop listening to instruction, my son, and you will stray from the words of knowledge.

How easy was that.....Solomon knew this...and recorded it in Proverbs. Stop listening.....not just reading or hearing but listening to instruction (i.e. God's blueprint, his word to us, his bible) and you will stray from from the words of knowledge. Not because I don't believe them....but because they aren't on my heart and on my mind.

James 1:22 some translations say - We are to be doers of the word, not merely hearers.
I would venture to guess that in order to be DOERS....we can't merely be hearers but LISTENERS too.

I think about my son....I love him to death....but I can tell him something very important to me...and he hears me, but he isn't always listening to me. So he will either not do what I have asked him to do, or he asks me to instruct him on something I've already instructed him on. Maybe this is how God feels about us...when we hear but we don't listen.

God thanks for your word to us. Let us be not only hearers, but doers of it. Make your word come alive to me and let me run to it in the morning instead of Facebook.

You can hear yesterdays sermon here. SERMON

1 comment:

Trace said...

Weird that this has been on your mind, because it's been on mine as well. Can't wait to get started on this new study!